Designed to honor the practice of the darkroom and alternative process photography, the Duluth Art Institute darkroom has the capacity to develop both grayscale and color film.
Hours & Location
Open to approved, checked-in renters 10AM-10PM, Monday-Friday.
Depot doors and DAI offices close at 5PM. Evening renters must enter the Depot and check in before 5PM.
Located on the 2nd floor of the St. Louis County Depot
506 West Michigan St, Duluth, MN 55802
How to Rent
- Become a member: darkroom rental is exclusive to DAI members
- Attend a free orientation with DAI Darkroom Studio Manager, John Sager. Coordinate orientation with John: 715-490-0123 or email@example.com. Once you have completed orientation, you will remain on the eligible renter list
- Pay rental (and non-refundable $50 deposit for first-time renters) in full prior to your use of the darkroom. Payable by cash, check, or credit card in the 4th floor DAI business offices, open 12-5PM Monday-Friday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more payment options and information
- Check in at the 4th floor DAI business office 12-5PM Monday-Friday, or schedule your visit ahead by emailing email@example.com. Using the darkroom without checking in is grounds for removal from the eligible renter list and/or membership termination.
- Daily renters: return darkroom keys to DAI office at end of use, or the following day if past 5PM.
$30/month plus non-refundable $50 deposit for first rental
$10/day plus non-refundable $50 deposit for first rental
Darkroom users are required to bring their own chemicals and paper.